September 17, 2013

It's time someone did this

FOR NEARLY TWO YEARS I’ve been meaning to pass on to you a fascinating article that appeared in The Onion.  It will be meaningful to anyone interested in sailing, and especially to those who have sought to gain publicity from some or other sailing adventure on the high seas.

Without further ado, I hand you over to the tender mercies of “America’s Finest News Source.”


Today’s Thought
Live by publicity, you’ll probably die by publicity.
— Russel Baker (on President Reagan’s changing image after news of Iranian arms sales) NY Times, 3 Dec 86

Tailpiece
“Advertising costs me a fortune.”
“What advertisements do you place?”
“I don’t place them. My wife reads them.”

(Drop by every Monday, Wednesday, Friday for a new Mainly about Boats column.)

2 comments:

Jack said...

John,
I have always "wrestled" with the type of "sailor" who, well lets say this onion piece was aimed at. I fit firmly in the Webb Chiles mind set of circumnavigation.
I also adhere to the notion that if you sail from shore you be prepare to "self-survive" not have other save your neck.
Jack

John Vigor said...

I quite agree with you, Jack. The Internet has made it so much easier for modern publicity hounds to get noticed. And, incidentally, I notice that Laura Dekker, youngest solo circumnavigator, has gone very silent on the blog front. Rather taken up with a new boyfriend, it seems.

John V.